Thursday, January 28, 2010

Expressive Lines






There is only one thing I've found that get's kids more excited then getting dirty with paint, and that's being allowed to use permanent markers. Especially if they're new, sharp, and juicy! This is an assignment we worked on in the fall.

To be a good artist, it is important to understand that lines create feelings in your art. Twirly lines make us feel happy and carefree, if we want our art to feel that way, then we incorporate soft edges into our piece. Sharp-angled lines give a sad, scary, tense feeling to our art, so likewise, if we want our art to feel that way we use those lines. This is a very simplified definition of course, but a great first stepping stone.

After we talked about line characteristics, I taught the kids some of my favorite doodling lines including the "ribbon" and the "heart-chain", then we started on our project. We drew a face, and every piece of "hair" coming off the head had to be a different kind of expressive line. Certainly, one of our favorite assignments so far!
For the younger kids, expressive lines came in the form of our first "line-by-line" drawing, Jabuti the Turtle, and his cracked shell. Each cracked shape was filled in with their favorite lines. They all turned out so great! I'll never forget how scared they all, (especially the Kindergarterners) were when I showed them a picture of what we'd be drawing. "Well, I don't know how to draw a turtle" Almost like they felt they were the only ones, and everyone else already knew how. They were so proud of themselves when they finished! I called them my little turtle-artist for about a month! I love when they acomplish something they never thought they could!

No comments:

Post a Comment